NEW DELHI : The pre-wedding ceremonies of star India cricketer Suresh Raina were held yesterday, ahead of the ‘big day’ on Friday.
The 28-year-old Raina will be tying the knot with fiancee Priyanka Chowdhary at a posh hotel here. Middle-order batsman Raina returned to the country with his India teammates after the semifinal loss to Australia in the World Cup last week. Raina is contracted with Chennai Super Kings, who are scheduled to kick start their campaign in the eighth edition of Indian Premier League on April 9, barely six days after his wedding. It is learnt that Priyanka and Raina’s friendship dates back to their childhood days. Priyanka is presently working in The Netherlands. Big wigs from politics and entertainment world, besides fellow cricketers, are expected to attend the bash.
The wedding is set to take place at the five-star Hotel Leela Palace in New Delhi.
Among the list of invitees, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav are rumoured to attend the marriage ceremony.
The roka ceremony was held on Thursday, March 12 at Godwin hotel in Meerut. Let us take a look at the five things to know about Raina’s better half.
1. Raina, a Kashmiri Pandit, shifted to Ghaziabad around 1980. Priyanka Chaudhary’s family first lived in Baraut, Uttar Pradesh but later shifted to Meerut. Priyanka’s mother is a close friend of Suresh Raina’s mother, while their fathers were colleagues in a private firm.
2. Priyanka is a B.Tech from Krishna Institute of Engineering and Technology (KIET) in Ghaziabad. Her brothers – Abhishek Choudhary and Vivek Choudhary, are working as software engineers in Chennai and Greater Noida respectively.
3. An independent girl, Priyanka first worked in Bengaluru and now working in Netherlands. But she is likely to leave her job post marriage.
4. Suresh Raina has been linked to several actresses including Shruti Hasan. Many also claim that Suresh Raina’s marriage to Priyanka is arranged, however, sources also reveal that Raina fell in love with Priyanka after meeting her in Bangalore during cricket travels.
5. Priyanka stays low-profile but is quite interested always in watching her husband during the matches.